falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Srikanth Sundarrajan <srik...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Release candidate RC2 of Apache Falcon 0.10
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2016 22:03:38 GMT
Have gone through the observations made by Ajay earlier in this thread and I think the observations
are indeed valid and it is best to fix them and rerun the release.
Normalize.css is bundled in the release and hence need to be included in the license explicitly
(See: http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#bundled-vs-non-bundled)Entypo is CC BY
SA 3.0 and need to be added to notice (http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa, ex:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-freemarker-docgen/blob/master/src/main/org/freemarker/docgen/statics/fonts/NOTICE#L4)Angular
JS is adequately covered and no further action need to be taken (https://code.angularjs.org/1.3.5/
includes all the files we have specifically included)checklist-model is licensed under MIT
(https://github.com/vitalets/checklist-model) and this need to be added to LICENSE filepopover.js
looks like contributed code and will require APL 2.0 license header.
I can possibly help out with sorting this issue by filing a jira and uploading a patch with
fixes. This should help us expedite the release process. Will have this ready by 8/5 IST evening.
Special thanks to Ajay for taking time to review the release thoroughly and Balu for patiently
working through this and ensuring a timely release.
RegardsSrikanth Sundarrajan
> [...]
> > would
> > > be happy to convert my vote to +1, if someone
> > > convinces me that the following are not an issue.
> > >

> > > 1. Bootstrap license
> > >  I didn't notice it earlier and it seems that unlike earlier
> > > bootstrap(licensed only under MIT), library we have
> > > used has dual license (MIT and Apache Software License 2.0) and can be
> > used
> > > under ASL 2.0 and hence
> > > probably need not mention in the LICENSE.txt.
> > >
> > > However, bootstrap includes *normalize.css* which is licensed under MIT
> > > only(see line 9 in bootstrap.min.css) which will still need to be
> > mentioned
> > > in the LICENSE.
> > >

> > > 2. Entypo license
> > >

> > > *<quote>2. Entypo license is covered under line 242 in
> > LICENSE.txt</quote>*
> > >
> > > INAL, but I believe Entypo is mentioned under LICENSE.txt but since it is
> > > CC BY-SA we need to
> > > update the NOTICE along with the License.
> > >

> > > 3.
> > > *<quote>*
> > >
> > > *All angular js related licenses are covered under line 229*
> > > *</quote>*
> > > This may really be a non-issue and you may be right here. My reason for
> > > bringing it up is
> > > because I suspect that these are not part of plain angular.min.js
> > download
> > > and are separate
> > > helper packages from angular, which if correct, might require them to be
> > > mentioned
> > > separately in LICENSE, even though they have same origin and license.
> > >

> > > 4. Other files
> > > *./falcon-ui/app/js/lib/bootstrap.notify.js [MIT only] - no mention in
> > > LICENSE*
> > > not part of bootstrap distribution. Quoting from the source below
> > > /*
> > >  * Project: Bootstrap Notify = v3.0.2
> > > notifications.
> > >  * Author: Mouse0270 aka Robert McIntosh
> > >  * License: MIT License
> > >  * Website: https://github.com/mouse0270/bootstrap-growl
> > >  */
> > >
> > > *./falcon-ui/app/js/lib/checklist-model.js *
> > > Following is the header:
> > > /**
> > >  * Checklist-model
> > >  * AngularJS directive for list of checkboxes
> > >  */
> > > It should have ASL header if it's original work contributed directly to
> > > Apache Falcon.
> > > Absence of Google copyright suggests it is not part of angular js either.
> > >
> > > *./falcon-ui/app/js/lib/popover.js *
> > > No ASL header, no other hints on source of origin either.
> > >

> > > FWIW, technically -1 is not a veto for releases and this vote may pass as
> > > per the guidelines [1]
> > > so you may not need to put out another RC.
> > >
> > > [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Ajay Yadava
> > >
> > > On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 2:42 AM Balu Vellanki Bala <

Candidate
> > > RC2
This RC2

> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/falcon/apache-falcon-0.10-sources/