falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Srikanth Sundarrajan <srik...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] : Apache Falcon minor release schedule
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2016 03:21:09 GMT
I am personally a strong advocate of Approach #2. I believe "release early release often" is
the right model for open source projects. There are numerous examples of where this is successfully
adopted and community benefiting from. If the overheads of a releases are reduced and managed
well, this ought to be a non-issue. While there are projects that do releases one or even
twice in a month, we can certainly do with a 6-8 week release cycle.

>> The disadvantage is that there could be incomplete features going into
Falcon, leading to customers trying out and struggling with these
features.

This is only an issue if the feature is prematurely advertised as being available, as long
as new features don't break existing functionality. Luckily we have a reasonable test suite.

Regards
Srikanth Sundarrajan

> Subject: [DISCUSS] : Apache Falcon minor release schedule
> From: bvellanki@hortonworks.com
> To: dev@falcon.apache.org
> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 18:39:11 +0000
>
> Hello Team,
>
> We had a discussion on the scope and schedule of Apache Falcon minor releases during
the Falcon bi-weekly meeting. There were two approaches suggested. I request you to provide
your feedback/opinion on what is the preferred way.

> Approach 1 : Minor release should be feature based.
> In this approach, the release manager will coordinate with the Falcon community and come
up with an short wish-list of features that should go into next release. The list should be
achievable in the timelines proposed. Once the list is decided upon, the release will happen
only after the features are complete (including full testing).  The advantage is that minor
releases will be feature complete and stable. Community will spend less time on debugging
incomplete features.  The disadvantage is that the release timeline becomes unpredictable
due to unforeseen feature delays.

> Approach 2 : Minor release should be time bound.
> In this approach, minor releases will be done on a regular time interval proposed to
be once a month. Every month, if we have a single complete feature committed to Falcon, a
new branch will be cut and a minor release will be made. Incomplete features can go into the
release, but they will not be advertised. The advantage is that falcon will have faster and
predictable release cycles. The disadvantage is that there could be incomplete features going