falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Pallavi Rao <pallavi....@inmobi.com>
Subject Re:
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2016 07:42:45 GMT
Satheesha,
Currently, Falcon does not store the number of retry attempts. It just
relies on Oozie's runId of the workflow/coordinator action. You can use the
same to determine, if 'n' attempts have completed. Oozie's special function
${wf:id()} allows you to do that.

Having said that, if your workflow is failing because of unavailability of
data, you should consider modeling the dataset as a Falcon feed on which
the process depends and waits for. If data is unavailable for a specified
time, the instance will gracefully TIME_OUT. This will save resources and
also will allow you distinguish between failures due to unavailability of
data and other failures.

Regards,
Pallavi

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:55 AM, Satheesha V P <sathishvprao@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Falcon dev team,
>
> Thanks for all your effort for giving us falcon. We are using it for job
> scheduling.
>

> I would like to know if we can pass falcon attempt #  parameter to the
> oozie and to the shell script which runs via Oozie.
>

> Scenario:  We have retry attempts: 10 in falcon . When all attempts
> finished and the job is failed b'cos of data unavailability. We want to
> exit gracefully after 10th attempt as we will not have data for few days in
> a year (its random date).
>

> Thanks,
> Satheesha V
> 9986699930