falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Venkat Ranganathan <vranganat...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Meetup on Data Management and Data Movement
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2016 04:59:24 GMT
Thanks to all those who attended the meetup today.  We had a full house of participants.

Special thanks to Ivo, Pallavi, Abe Fine and Hortonworks  Data management team (Balu, Sowmya,
Venky and Ying)  for presenting and helping with this.

We will meet again in the next meetup!

Venkat

On 3/22/16, 9:22 PM, "Venkat Ranganathan" <vranganathan@hortonworks.com> wrote:

>Reminder:   Meetup this Thursday
>
>Thanks
>
>Venkat
>

>On 3/14/16, 3:43 PM, "Venkat Ranganathan" <vranganathan@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>>There will be Falcon content and also Sqoop content with user stories on using Falcon
and Sqoop along with other components.   Please see the following info

>>==
>>Hadoop Data Management and Data Movement
>>
>>  *   Tell a friend<http://www.meetup.com/futureofdata-siliconvalley/events/229478721/>
>>  *   Share<http://www.meetup.com/futureofdata-siliconvalley/events/229478721/>
>>
>>  *
>>Thursday, March 24, 2016
>>6:30 PM to 9:30 PM
>>  *
>>Hortonworks HQ<https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=5470+Great+America+Parkway%2C+Santa+Clara%2C+CA%2C+us>
>>
>>5470 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA (map<https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=5470+Great+America+Parkway%2C+Santa+Clara%2C+CA%2C+us>)
>>
>>  *
>>
>>Join us to get the latest scoop on Sqoop, Falcon and learn how customers are doing
Hadoop data management and their use cases.

>>For many enterprises getting to into a data lake can be a big challenge.  Part of
that challenge is being able to have enterprise grade governance of who is loading or exporting
the data and what are they doing with the data.

>>Apache Falcon<http://falcon.apache.org/> allows an enterprise to process a single
massive dataset stored in HDFS in multiple ways—for batch, interactive and streaming applications.
With more data and more users of that data, Apache Falcon’s data governance capabilities
play a critical role in managing data pipelines at scale. As the value of Hadoop data increases,
so does the importance of cleaning that data, preparing it for business intelligence tools,
and removing it from the cluster when it outlives its useful life.

>>The Falcon framework can also leverage other Hadoop components, such as Pig, HDFS,
and Oozie<http://oozie.apache.org/>. Falcon enables this simplified management by providing
a framework to define, deploy, and manage data pipelines.

>>RDBMS data is another primary data source for the data lake.  Apache Sqoop<http://sqoop.apache.org/>
is an open source tool to move structured data from an RDBMS to HDFS.

>>Come to this meetup to learn how customers are managing their data pipelines, learn
about about the current state of Falcon and it’s roadmap and learn what’s coming with
Sqoop.