falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Sandeep Samudrala <sandys...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Removing CHANGES.txt
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2016 09:29:54 GMT
Now by moving to Github Pull request model in Apache Falcon, it creates a
lot of pain as to each pull request merged would create a conflict in
changes.txt for rest of the pull requests.
Now considering this issue, the option of having the CHANGES.txt might have
to be reconsidered.

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Ajay Yadav <ajaynsit@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with you Venkat, mentioning in commit message is better than
> mentioning in CHANGES.txt. Actually, in Apache Falcon we do both, hence
> this is even more redundant for this use case. Although in my opinion even
> mentioning contributor in commit message is weak form of attribution
> compared to making the contributor the author of the commit. Attribution
> use case will be perfectly solved with the github pull request model.
>
> It will also solve my biggest complaint about maintaining change log in
> CHANGES.txt like this. The responsibility of maintaining the CHANGES.txt
> will be shifted on multiple contributors rather than lesser number of
> committers and active committers will not feel the pain.
>
> I have already created a JIRA to track this shift and work is already in
> progress.
>

> On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 4:13 AM, Venkat Ranganathan <
> vranganathan@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> > The maintenance of attribution is a valid thought, but different projects
> > have handled it differently.  For example, in Sqoop, it is written in the
> > git commit message and the changes.list only lists the fixed JIRAs.
>  There
> > are good things in both styles, but I prefer the Sqoop style for
> > contributor information to be maintained in the Git repo as a comment.
> > That makes the changes.txt easily readable for changes.
> >
> > That said, it is a preference set forth by the project team  as Venkatesh
> > Seetharam said.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Venkat
> >

> > On 1/21/16, 10:35 PM, "Seetharam Venkatesh" <venkatesh@innerzeal.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >One more is to highlight incompatible changes which is very critical.
> > >
> > >We as PMC had decided to maintain this and I still think its very useful
> > >preserve it here. I do not want to use git to lookup.
> > >
> > >On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 8:38 PM Srikanth Sundarrajan <
> [...]
means that we are

Srinivas <

That might
> be