falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Shwetha Shivalingamurthy <sshivalingamur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Question about differences between Atlas and Falcon
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2016 05:44:40 GMT
Hi,

Falcon is a data management system which makes acquisition, retention, replication and processing
of recurring data easier. In doing so, for the data it manages, it also provides lineage,
and monitoring.

Atlas is a pure metadata management system, and doesn't manage data. It captures metadata
across all the components in the hadoop stack, not just falcon. Currently, it has integration
with hive, falcon, sqoop, storm and kafka. It also has the ability to model business taxonomy,
capture lineage across components, tagging, tag based policies(using ranger).

Makes sense?

Regards,
Shwetha

From: "Choudhury, Iftekhar [USA]" <Choudhury_Iftekhar@bah.com<mailto:Choudhury_Iftekhar@bah.com>>
Date: Tuesday, 26 January 2016 8:32 pm
To: "venkatesh@apache.org<mailto:venkatesh@apache.org>" <venkatesh@apache.org<mailto:venkatesh@apache.org>>,
"sriksun@apache.org<mailto:sriksun@apache.org>" <sriksun@apache.org<mailto:sriksun@apache.org>>,
Hortonworks Communications <comms@hortonworks.com<mailto:comms@hortonworks.com>>,
"dev@falcon.incubator.apache.org<mailto:dev@falcon.incubator.apache.org>" <dev@falcon.incubator.apache.org<mailto:dev@falcon.incubator.apache.org>>
Subject: Question about differences between Atlas and Falcon

Hi,

I am a Hadoop Architect for Booz Allen Hamilton and my company is looking at the data governance
tools that Hortonworks provides. I have done some research on Falcon and Atlas and I have
a question about these two tools. If Falcon can perform the data governance pretty well with
all its policies, monitoring tools, and lineage, what was the need to introduce Atlas? What
are the core differences between Atlas and Falcon? What is there in Atlas that Falcon couldn't
provide?

Thank you,
Iftekhar Choudhury

[Booz Allen Hamilton]