falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Ajay Yadava <ajayyad...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Removing CHANGES.txt
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2016 18:51:30 GMT
Currently we are maintaining CHANGES.txt to record contributions,
 committers of the commits and the release in which they got committed. All
this information is also available in JIRA and git.

However, there are certain disadvantages of CHANGES.txt, every time during
release we have to maintain different CHANGES.txt in master and branch. We
have to be careful with subtle details like "Proposed release version" and
"Released version" etc. This also creates confusion when same commit gets
committed into master and the branch.

Also, it entails committers to do some edits to the patch submitted by the
contributor. This is error prone and can be tedious sometimes. Sometimes we
forget to attribute contribution or spell contributor's name incorrectly.

Hence I propose to delete CHANGES.txt from master (0.10 onward). Please
provide your inputs. If everyone agrees, then I will create a JIRA and
delete CHANGES.txt from master.

Cheers
Ajay Yadava