falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Ajay Yadav <ajayn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Removing CHANGES.txt
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2016 07:54:21 GMT
Thanks for your input Pavan, it is helpful to hear how everyone is using
CHANGES.txt and that is the whole purpose of this discussion. For checking
what all changes went after a JIRA, using git log is a better option. For
example using CHANGES.txt you can not determine what all *features* or
*improvements* went after this *bug fix *because there is no relative
ordering between different types of JIRA in CHANGES.txt*.* Secondly you are
trusting that CHANGES.txt entries were always made in correct place on the
top. Being an active committer I can tell you this is not true and often
during resolving conflicts etc. things get shuffled around. Also it is a
common error to put a 0.9 change in trunk while committing to master.

The whole idea is to automate the process, make it less error prone and at
the same time make change log available in better and more accurate format.
If hadoop script / workflow solves it then I am very happy to discuss that
approach as well. If someone has a use case which can be solved only by
this workflow then I am happy to discuss how we can solve without
sacrificing those use cases but I request all of you to be cognizant of the
fact that as one of the most active contributors I am feeling the pain in
this approach and we need a better solution. I am open to listening to
better ideas to solve these problems.

If anyone has other use cases of CHANGES.txt file or any
opinions/suggestions then please chime in. Later, I will send a summary of
the discussion with all the use cases and a proposal to solve all the pain
points which we can discuss further.

*P.S.* We may be really used to the CHANGES.txt file but several apache
projects don't maintain CHANGES.txt e.g. SPARK, Flink

Cheers
Ajay Yadava