falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Ajay Yadav <ajay.ya...@inmobi.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Removing CHANGES.txt
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2016 19:28:58 GMT
As I said Idea is to delete CHANGES.txt as the same information can be
extracted from JIRA. We can provide change log information using JIRA.

Maintaining CHANGES.txt file is a huge pain for the people who have to
commit patches. It is also very error prone way of maintaining change log.
We have a 6 weekly release cycle so that means that we are almost always
running in two branches and it becomes very painful to maintain the change
log in this fashion.

Cheers
Ajay Yadava

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:38 AM, Suresh Srinivas <suresh@hortonworks.com>
wrote:

> Hadoop has a script to generate CHANGES.txt. That might be an option.
>
> Agree with Venkatesh. This is an important information and should not be
> deleted.
>
> On 1/20/16, 10:55 AM, "Seetharam Venkatesh" <venkatesh@innerzeal.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I think this is quite useful and AFAICT, the release timelines are
> >quarterly, it might be worth the extra effort to maintain this.
> >
> >-1 from me.
> >
> >On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 10:52 AM Ajay Yadava <ajayyadava@apache.org>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Currently we are maintaining CHANGES.txt to record contributions,
> >>  committers of the commits and the release in which they got committed.
> >>All
> >> this information is also available in JIRA and git.
> >>
> >> However, there are certain disadvantages of CHANGES.txt, every time
> >>during
> >> release we have to maintain different CHANGES.txt in master and branch.
> >>We
> >> have to be careful with subtle details like "Proposed release version"
> >>and
> >> "Released version" etc. This also creates confusion when same commit
> >>gets
> >> committed into master and the branch.
> >>
> >> Also, it entails committers to do some edits to the patch submitted by
> >>the
> >> contributor. This is error prone and can be tedious sometimes.
> >>Sometimes we
> >> forget to attribute contribution or spell contributor's name
> >>incorrectly.
> >>
> >> Hence I propose to delete CHANGES.txt from master (0.10 onward). Please
> >> provide your inputs. If everyone agrees, then I will create a JIRA and
> >> delete CHANGES.txt from master.
> >>

> >> Cheers
> >> Ajay Yadava

receipt.