falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Venkat Ranganathan <vranganat...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Removing CHANGES.txt
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2016 22:43:00 GMT
The maintenance of attribution is a valid thought, but different projects have handled it differently.
 For example, in Sqoop, it is written in the git commit message and the changes.list only
lists the fixed JIRAs.   There are good things in both styles, but I prefer the Sqoop style
for contributor information to be maintained in the Git repo as a comment.  That makes the
changes.txt easily readable for changes.

That said, it is a preference set forth by the project team  as Venkatesh Seetharam said.

Thanks

Venkat

On 1/21/16, 10:35 PM, "Seetharam Venkatesh" <venkatesh@innerzeal.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>We as PMC had decided to maintain this and I still think its very useful to
>preserve it here. I do not want to use git to lookup.
>
>On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 8:38 PM Srikanth Sundarrajan <sriksun@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> There are three main reasons for maintaining the changes.txt in my view
>>
>> 1. Attribution of contribution to original owners
>> 2. Live document listing changes by category (bug type) for developers'
>> convenience
>> 3. A change log to refer to for someone who downloads binary/source
>> releases contained the tar ball.
>>
>> @Ajay, It might be very helpful to call these out specifically.
>>
>> Regards
>> Srikanth Sundarrajan
>>
>> > From: ajaynsit@gmail.com
>> > Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 13:24:21 +0530
>> > Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Removing CHANGES.txt
>> > To: dev@falcon.apache.org
>> >
>> > Thanks for your input Pavan, it is helpful to hear how everyone is using
>> > CHANGES.txt and that is the whole purpose of this discussion. For
>> checking
>> > what all changes went after a JIRA, using git log is a better option. For
>> > example using CHANGES.txt you can not determine what all *features* or
>> > *improvements* went after this *bug fix *because there is no relative
>> > ordering between different types of JIRA in CHANGES.txt*.* Secondly you
>> are
>> > trusting that CHANGES.txt entries were always made in correct place on
>> the
>> > top. Being an active committer I can tell you this is not true and often
>> > during resolving conflicts etc. things get shuffled around. Also it is a
>> > common error to put a 0.9 change in trunk while committing to master.
>> >
>> > The whole idea is to automate the process, make it less error prone and
>> at
>> > the same time make change log available in better and more accurate
>> format.
>> > If hadoop script / workflow solves it then I am very happy to discuss
>> that
>> > approach as well. If someone has a use case which can be solved only by
>> > this workflow then I am happy to discuss how we can solve without
>> > sacrificing those use cases but I request all of you to be cognizant of
>> the
>> > fact that as one of the most active contributors I am feeling the pain in
>> > this approach and we need a better solution. I am open to listening to
>> > better ideas to solve these problems.
>> >
>> > If anyone has other use cases of CHANGES.txt file or any
>> > opinions/suggestions then please chime in. Later, I will send a summary
>> of
>> > the discussion with all the use cases and a proposal to solve all the
>> pain
>> > points which we can discuss further.
>> >
>> > *P.S.* We may be really used to the CHANGES.txt file but several apache
>> > projects don't maintain CHANGES.txt e.g. SPARK, Flink

to record
>> got
JIRA and git.

of CHANGES.txt,