falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Biren Saini <bsa...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Falcon usecases
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2015 18:05:06 GMT
+ Falcon group

Great comment Chris.

Biren.

On Dec 4, 2015, at 12:51 PM, Chris Nauroth <cnauroth@hortonworks.com<mailto:cnauroth@hortonworks.com>>
wrote:

I'll just add a bit to Biren's response by saying that I personally find Falcon compelling
as a user.  I was a user of Hadoop before I became a developer on Hadoop.  As a user, I found
that most of my engineering effort went into figuring out how to get data into Hadoop and
then figuring out how to get job results back out to other external systems.  I wrote a lot
of custom one-off code to do this for different projects.  Eventually, I helped build a somewhat
Falcon-like system to simplify the process of onboarding new data sets into my Hadoop cluster.
 Falcon has a richer feature set though compared to that system I helped build.  If I was
still in my prior role, I'd be giving Falcon a serious evaluation as a replacement.

--Chris Nauroth

From: Biren Saini <bsaini@hortonworks.com<mailto:bsaini@hortonworks.com>>
Date: Friday, December 4, 2015 at 6:25 AM
To: praveenesh kumar <praveenesh@gmail.com<mailto:praveenesh@gmail.com>>, Chris
Nauroth <cnauroth@hortonworks.com<mailto:cnauroth@hortonworks.com>>
Cc: "user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>" <user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: RE: Falcon usecases

Praveenesh,
I am the Governance SME lead at Hortonworks which includes Falcon. Like Chris said falcon
mailing list is a better group for this question but here is the crux of what you are looking
for -

We have many clients (including F100) who have been using Falcon in production very successfully.
There are a ton on features in the roadmap that I am looking forward to. Falcon plays a critical
role in the overall data governance story for Hadoop.

Check out - hortonworks.com/hadoop/falcon<http://hortonworks.com/hadoop/falcon> for
overview of the tool and more details.

Here is a tutorial that will get you started -

http://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/defining-processing-data-end-end-data-pipeline-apache-falcon/

Sample data pipeline built using Falcon in my github repo  - https://github.com/sainib/hadoop-data-pipeline

For any more follow up questions - please try the falcon distribution.

Biren.