falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Pallavi Rao <pallavi....@inmobi.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Namespace-ing properties and FALCON-1573
Date Mon, 16 Nov 2015 04:32:57 GMT
Folks,
With FALCON-1573, Daniel came up with a very good suggestion of allowing
user-supplied properties at schedule time. He proposed 2 approaches
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FALCON-1573?focusedCommentId=14982386&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14982386>
-

   1. Allow user to specify free form name-value pairs. Since user-supplied
   property names can clash with Falcon property names, give Falcon properties
   (generated when the bundle is built) priority over user-supplied ones, in
   case of clash.
   2. Namespace user-supplied properties, so we can distinguish user and
   system properties. This will allow user to supply properties without any
   clash with system properties.

Daniel has already uploaded patch for approach (1). Regarding this, wish to
solicit your input on 2 questions:

   1. Should we pursue approach (2) in FALCON-1573 itself or take it up
   separately?
   2. When we eventually namespace the properties, what should the
   namespace format be?

My 2 cents:

Question (1) : I think we should pursue namespace approach in FALCON-1573
itself. Two reasons for the same:

   - When user supplies a name-value pair and we silently ignore (we only
   log) it when it clashes with system property, it is not very intuitive to
   the user.
   - If we don't introduce it now, but, bring it in later, we'll have to
   deal with 2 kinds of properties, one that is namespace-d and one that isn't.

Question (2) : I suggest we use falcon.system.* (or just falcon.*) for
system properties and falcon.user.* for user-supplied properties.

Apologies for the tad lengthy mail. Request you all to provide your inputs.

Thanks and Regards,
Pallavi

receipt.