falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Ajay Yadav <ajay.ya...@inmobi.com>
Subject Re: Oozie uber mode and other modes of running the software
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2015 23:59:20 GMT
Venkat,

Sounds good, let's discuss it in the next sync up. For the benefit of
everyone on the mailing list, I will summarise our use cases. Yes, we
(Inmobi) use Oozie's uber mode in our production environment(IIRC we are
using it since Apache Falcon 0.7). We do have several thousand jobs running
per day(several at minutely frequencies) and a heavily utilised cluster, so
this makes sense for us. We do test all Oozie releases, though sometimes
our Oozie releases are not exactly aligned with Oozie's general release -
it might contain some extra patches, might be from trunk etc. and our
testing might be specific to features being used at Inmobi. In fact last
time Pragya Mittal did the testing for both Apache Falcon 0.7 and Oozie.
She can add more on this.

List of scenarios looks comprehensive. Just curious, what storage backends
are other users using for titan?

Cheers
Ajay Yadava

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 9:20 PM, Venkat Ranganathan <
vranganathan@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> FALCON-1551 was interesting for two reasons - that we are still caught by
> the FS caching issue (this should have been dealt by most of the projects
> one time or another), but the use of Oozie uber mode - I am wondering if we
> have done uber mode testing generally - Is this the mode that is used in
> your environments – It makes sense when thousands of Oozie jobs are run –
> saving one container.   I would like to understand more about your
> experience with uber mode if you have – may be in the next Falcon sync up.
>
>  I think we have create a list of modes that we expect the product to run
> before we introduce changes generally – Given that there are different sets
> of execution modes that we want to test.   Please add more on the scenarios
> that I am most likely missing.   Let us discuss this also if we have time.
>
>   1.  Security (Kerberos and Wire encryption)
>   2.  NN HA/RM HA
>   3.  Oozie HA
>   4.  Oozie ubermode for launcher job
>   5.  Multi cluster with prism
>   6.  Multi cluster managed with Oozie (with single Falcon instance)
>   7.  Hadoop/Hive/Oozie versions and the implications (S3 and Azure blob
> storage went out of hadoop-common in 2.6.0+ and the implications).
>

> Thanks
>
> Venkat

receipt.