falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Venkat Ranganathan <vranganat...@hortonworks.com>
Subject XSD versioning
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2015 01:26:41 GMT
Hi all

There have been lots of great additions to the product and some of them are changing the schema
definitions (mostly additions is what I have seen so far).   But still, we need to have a
plan to come up with a plan to handle XSD versioning so that it is easy to track features.
  I briefly mentioning this in the email notification JIRA that Peeyush is working on and
also brought up during the Lifecycle discussions

I think we should have a policy:   Something along the lines below : subject to discussion,
modification and updates by the community)

   XSD’s will have a major and minor version.
   When backward incompatible and/or significant new features are introduced in the XSDs,
we should increment the major version
   Otherwise we will increment the minor version.   Documents based only on minor version
differences should be consumable by all Falcon product versions supporting that XSD version

Thoughts?

Thanks

Venkat