falcon-dev mailing list archives

From anuj kumar <anuj.gandh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need help in understanding Lineage With Falcon
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2015 07:39:14 GMT
Thanks Srikanth for the quick response.
I understand that querying the Graph DB may not be a good solution after
all.

But what I understood is that this Graph DB stores already the calculated
Lineage Information. Is this assumption correct?
If yes, is there also some data store that captures the metadata
information.
So, for eg Lets assume I have a Hive Script that reads a file in HDFS,
concatenates the FirstName and LastName fields in the file and stores it
into a Hive Table as FullName field.

Now in order to generate Lineage on the FullName field, it needs to not
only know the HDFS File Name and the field Name but also the HIve Table
Name as well as column Name.

How does Falcon capture this metadata from the Hive Script? Does it parse
the Hive Script to understand the metadata? Also, where is this metadata
stored? Is it in HCatalog?

May be I have completely misunderstood it.Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Anuj Kumar

--
*Anuj Kumar*