falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Ajay Yadav <ajayn...@gmail.com>
Subject Scope of Apche Falcon-0.7
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2015 07:22:55 GMT
Hello everyone,

As discussed in one of the recent falcon-syncups, we want to do more
frequent releases of Apache Falcon. This will enable us to get in a
release cadence
and hopefully reduce the time to do "release diligence". It will also
enable us to roll new features quickly to users and get their feedback.  We
are planning to do another release of Apache Falcon around August second
week. I would like to invite everyone to help in freezing the scope of the
release.

You can see the changes which are committed but not yet released at this
link <https://github.com/apache/falcon/blob/master/CHANGES.txt#L3>
*  INCOMPATIBLE CHANGES - None*
*  NEW FEATURES*
    FALCON-1039 Add instance dependency API in falcon (Ajay Yadava)
    FALCON-796 Enable users to triage data processing issues through
falcon (Ajay
Yadava)

New features which are not yet committed but would be included in 0.7 will
be as follows:
1) Hive DR
2) Falcon Unit - first version(alpha?)
3) Base framework for Feed SLA monitoring.

Since we have already added several new features and we have no
incompatible changes, this release should be *0.7 *There are several JIRAs
which are currently Patch Available and we would like to include all or as
many of them as possible in 0.7 as long as the they are ready to be
committed shortly and don't move the release timelines.

I would request everybody to be *brutal* in suggestions for JIRAs to be
added in scope of 0.7 so that we can stick to the timelines. Since next
release will be also within a month of releasing 0.7 there shouldn't be a
huge impact. We will freeze the scope of release and cut branch for 0.7 before
the  weekend, so if you have any other important JIRA which you would want
to be included in 0.7 then please let me know as soon as possible.

Cheers
Ajay Yadava