falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Venkat Ranganathan <vranganat...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Orchestration in Falcon
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2015 20:42:18 GMT
All good thoughts.  I like the staged approach of offloading some of the cumbersome Oozie features
and relying on the workflow engine.   As we all would agree, this is an area where we could
leverage the maturity and support for various action types which is provided by Oozie today
- and this will also help us integrate with other scheduling solutions more easily in future.

Venkat

On 4/7/15, 10:10 AM, "Srikanth Sundarrajan" <sriksun@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Arpit,
>    Thanks for bringing this up. The idea that was originally proposed in http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/falcon-dev/201412.mbox/%3CBLU179-W931569420E9A4C4B4DDF57A4690@phx.gbl%3E
was to simply do away with the oozie coordinator, but continue to use oozie workflow engine
for the user workflows (this will also ensure continuity for users). This will ensure that
much of the security related complexities wouldn't have to be re-implemented in falcon and
will continue to be delegated to Oozie.

>Regards
>Srikanth Sundarrajan

>> Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Orchestration in Falcon
>> From: arpit@hortonworks.com
>> To: dev@falcon.apache.org
>> Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 17:02:16 +0000
>>
>> One thing to consider oozie does handle most of the various security related configurations
seamlessly from falcon’s perspective. If we were to build this in falcon all of that logic
would have to move to falcon. Hopefully if we get rid of what you mention in #6 some of the
things might become simpler.

>> However what falcon will have to start supporting is allowing users to provide configuration
of clusters (hadoop and not falcon clusters) on the local filesystem just like how oozie does
and based on the read, write and execute uri it reads the appropriate configs and passes them
along.

>> The above will be needed regardless of security or not. As falcon currently assumes
the hadoop configs is running with applies to all clusters it might deal with which might
not be true. And because of the above feature in oozie its able to handle it for most cases.
We still have this limitation in our current model but i think this feature would be needed
if we were to move the scheduler into falcon.

>> --
>> Arpit Gupta
>> Hortonworks Inc.
>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>
>>> On Apr 7, 2015, at 9:49 AM, Srikanth Sundarrajan <sriksun@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>>> I am fully behind this for the following reasons:
>>>
>>> 1. Managing the scheduling capability (regardless of the feasibility or infeasibility)
in Oozie means that all changes have to make it to Oozie upstream and released, before they
can be used from within Falcon.

>>> 2. Supporting new gating & throttling primitives with the awareness of dependencies
between entities seems to ask for too much changes into Oozie to be done incrementally. This
might require at least some major design changes in Oozie.

>>> 3. As many in the falcon-dev community would agree, it would be ideal for falcon
to be less dependent on Oozie in the long run.

>>> 4. It would be easier and simpler to handle stream datasets if falcon was to
directionally support these in near or far future.

>>> 5. Currently there is a lot of bloat in scheduler integration because of the
way Oozie functions and this complexity will reduce if we have a more simpler scheduler to
integrate with.

>>> 6. Notion of parent workflow (associated pre-processing & post-processing)
overheads by occupying a slot in the cluster also is begging for attention and improvement.