excalibur-user mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: historical question
Date Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:04:05 GMT
Hi Matthias!

On 14-01-2005 11:04, "Matthias Bertschy" <matthiasbertschy@mac.com> wrote:
> We are studying the story of the Avalon project and have made a lot of
> research work on the internet (wiki, mailing lists, ...) in order to
> understand what happened to the project.
> We had some difficulties because the website avalon.apache.org has
> closed before we could begin the study and archive it. But we have made
> out a general picture of what happened.

Everything at apache is under version-control :-D. All of the materials hat
ever were on avalon.apache.org are available through a combination of cvs
and subversion repositories:

And before that:

(and some other locations as well). So (at least in theory, there might be a
hickkup somewhere) all different versions of the avalon website that ever
existed can be recovered. If you let us know what you need we can help you
figure out the right commands to extract that information.

> However, we don't really understand what makes Excalibur's container
> different from Loom oor Metro's. Could someone state the main
> differences between those projects?

There are many, and they are probably not just technical. I doubt there's
many people on this planet that can give a totally objective answer to that

> Also, we would like to know if it is possible to get the exact
> specifications of the framework you are using?

The "exact" specification of the framework is probably the combination of
the framework source code combined with the subset of commonly implemented
contracts among the different containers. One of the things that led to
multiple not completely compatible container implementations was the immense
difficulty to actually fully define what "exactly" are the avalon framework
specifications. (Not much more or less so than for "specifications" like
IMAP or HTTP 0.9.)

Why do you ask? What are you trying to do?

> Thanks for your help :-)

If you guys could give some context for your questions we might be able to
figure out the right answers :-D

- Leo