excalibur-user mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: Fortress vs. Merlin/Metro
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:16:29 GMT
Dorninger Bernhard wrote:

>Hi,
>I am new to the Apache efforts in COP and noticed, that there is a major
>reorganisation going on. For newbies like me, this is a little
>confusing.
>As far as i can see, Avalon will now be hosted and maintained by the
>Excalibur project, whereas Merlin goes Metro on DPML.net. Unfortunately,
>this information is only available in mailing lists and is not reflected
>on the project websites (yet?).

That is corrent.

>My question here is: What is the difference/are the different goals of
>Fortress and Merlin? Can someone please drop a short notice about that
>question?

The major reason that Merlin/Metro has moved out of Avalon land  is due to
differences in the way the Merlin/Metro team wants to run the project
and how
an Apache Software Foundation project should be run.

Merlin's design focus was more on macro (or large scale) servers, and was a
direct competitor to what used to be Avalon Pheonix.  Fortress' design focus
was more on micro (or embedded within your application) container, and was
a replacement for the ECM (ExcaliburComponentManager).

The design focus difference led to very different goals and implementation.
Fortress is designed to be easier to configure and put things together
(it is
fairly forgiving).

>Does fortress support hot deploy of components?

Not at this moment.  The framework is all there to perform this type of
action,
but so far, none of the developers have come accross a situation where that
was truly necessary.  We could get the same effect by shutting down one
instance
of Fortress and starting it up immediately with the new configuration.
Since this
does mesh up with what works on Servlet boundaries and most GUI
applications,
it was good enough.

If you want to build something of that nature, we can definitely give
you some
pointers.

>thanks,
>Bernhard

NP.  I hope this helps.

--

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better
idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,