excalibur-user mailing list archives

From "Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.F...@am.sony.com>
Subject RE: Fortress vs. Merlin/Metro
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:43:53 GMT

Yet.  :)

I'm working on it.  My first attempt at getting the redirects working didn't
pan out.

A "closed" message is at http://avalon.apache.org/closed.html

> My question here is: What is the difference/are the different goals of
> Fortress and Merlin? Can someone please drop a short notice about that
> question?

Metro seeks to be a full service/component deployment platform.  In a sense,
it competes with J2EE.

Fortress is designed to be a small container that you embed in your
application, more along the lines of Pico or Nanocontainer.

Another way to think of it is that you run your application in Metro while
you run Fortress in your application.  There are exceptions to this rule (of
course), but that's the general idea.

> Does fortress support hot deploy of components?

No.  But then again, neither does Merlin/Metro.  I'm not sure if Loom or
Plexus (other Avalon-based containers) do.  I don't think so, though.

jaaron