excalibur-user mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: Hierarchical Containers
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:00:31 GMT
Bryce Ewing wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Bryce!

sorry for the delay in responding.

> I am quite new to using Fortress (or more generally Avalon).  What I
> am trying to do at the moment is loading up multiple components each
> with there own seperate class loader.  From looking through the source
> of Fortress and through documentation (where available) I feel that to
> do this I will need to make a hierarchy of containers with each
> component that requires a seperate class loader to be loaded into a
> different container.

maybe that could work. I don't know if anyone has tried that; fortress
wasn't really designed for multi-classloader architecture.

> If this isn't the case please let me know that I am heading down the
> completely wrong path.

I am not quite sure how much effort you'll have to put in to get a
proper classloader architecture in place. Classloader management is
"non-trivial" at best.

> Otherwise what I was wondering was how to
> setup a hierarchy of containers.  From the documentation it says:
> "Part of the design concept for Fortress heirarchical containers is to
> use a ContainerManager to make sure all the necessary services are set
> up and running. For example, the Fortress container needs a
> CommandManager--so the ContainerManager checks to see if it is already
> set up and uses it. That way we can have one Container that has one or
> more ContainerManagers that all use the kernel level services of the
> parent container."
>
> So does this mean that infact there is only one Fortress container
> which has multiple ContainerManager's, or is this text missleading in
> that respect.

You could have

Container
|---Shared Services
|---ContainerManager 1
     |---Container 1A
     |---Container 1B
|---ContainerManager 2
     |---Container 2A
     |---Container 2B

is what the text is trying to say.

> To give you more of an idea of what I am wanting to do I was thinking
> of the following:
>   * main container loads up, it's xconf has information on what other
> containers to initialise, and where to read their xconf's from (and
> what classpath to set on the container)
>   * each of these child containers is loaded into that parent container

That could be made to work. The key thing to realize is that
a-container-is-a-component, so any IoC setup you can think of is indeed
possible.

HTH,

- LSD