excalibur-user mailing list archives

From Bryce Ewing <bryc...@gmail.com>
Subject Hierarchical Containers
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:47:31 GMT
Hi all,

I am quite new to using Fortress (or more generally Avalon).  What I
am trying to do at the moment is loading up multiple components each
with there own seperate class loader.  From looking through the source
of Fortress and through documentation (where available) I feel that to
do this I will need to make a hierarchy of containers with each
component that requires a seperate class loader to be loaded into a
different container.

If this isn't the case please let me know that I am heading down the
completely wrong path.  Otherwise what I was wondering was how to
setup a hierarchy of containers.  From the documentation it says:
"Part of the design concept for Fortress heirarchical containers is to
use a ContainerManager to make sure all the necessary services are set
up and running. For example, the Fortress container needs a
CommandManager--so the ContainerManager checks to see if it is already
set up and uses it. That way we can have one Container that has one or
more ContainerManagers that all use the kernel level services of the
parent container."

So does this mean that infact there is only one Fortress container
which has multiple ContainerManager's, or is this text missleading in
that respect.

To give you more of an idea of what I am wanting to do I was thinking
of the following:
  * main container loads up, it's xconf has information on what other
containers to initialise, and where to read their xconf's from (and
what classpath to set on the container)
  * each of these child containers is loaded into that parent container

If you could be of some help it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bryce