excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: [GUMP@vmgump]: Project excalibur-pool-impl-test (in module excalibur) failed
Date Thu, 24 Dec 2009 11:38:33 GMT
Hey folks,

On 12/23/09 7:24 AM, Gump wrote:
> DEBUG - Put a org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.test.PoolableTestObject back into the
pool.
> DEBUG - Put a org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.test.PoolableTestObject back into the
pool.
> DEBUG - Got a org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.test.PoolableTestObject from the pool.
> Tests run: 1001, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 3.718 sec<<<
 FAILURE!
> Running org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.test.ResourceLimitingPoolMultithreadMaxStrictBlockTestCase
> TimedTest (WAITING): LoadTest (NON-ATOMIC): ThreadedTest: testGetPut(org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.test.ResourceLimitingPoolMultithreadMaxStrictBlockTestCase)(repeated):
1755 ms
> Tests run: 100, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 1.806 sec
> Running org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.test.ResourceLimitingPoolMultithreadMaxStrictTestCase

This has been broken since at least October 9th according to my e-mail.
I took a look at the tests in question, they're (perhaps necessarily)
somewhat fragile tests. I suspect a combination of fast hardware + JDK 6
causes the test failure.

I also somewhat suspect the bug is in the test not in the actual code
(though the actual code itself does look a bit scary -- not really how
I'd write this in 2009 :-D ).

I tried jiggling timers and such a bit and making some small changes to
the test but I only seem to make it worse (can get deadlocks, even).

Anyone around that knows this code? (The SVN history tells us that it
didn't see meaningful changes since the CVS -> SVN conversion in 2003...)

Any ideas?

...if I don't hear anything I'm going to comment out some tests or move
them to a different maven profile so they don't run out-of-the-box.

cheers,

Leo