excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: To Re or Not To Re(Package)
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:27:45 GMT
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Robert Burrell
Donkin<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> a number of excalibur components which separate their api from their
> implementation share the same package for both. for example, pool-api
> and pool-impl are both packaged into org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.
> this doesn't play well with OSGi (and also seems a little old skool to
> me) but can be worked around (for example by issues a pool-osgi
> consolidating both api and impl).
>
> it does beg the question: would it be better just to bite the bullet
> and repackage?

If by "repackage" you mean put the api and impl code in one jar, sure!
Its not like anyone seems to care these days about loading as few
classes into their vms as possible :)

If by "repackage" you mean change the package names to create .api and
.impl, I think that's a bad idea because it breaks backwards
compatibility.

cheers,

- Leo