excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: OSGi...?
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 20:50:56 GMT
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> the excalibur components are mature, well used and well tested but
> they predate OSGi. this means that it's difficult for projects who are
> dependent on excalibor components to jump to OSGi. these components
> might also a new lease of life since OSGi is currently a little short
> of some of the basics.

No kiddin'...

> AIUI some other projects have forked and ported some but IMHO it would
> make more sense to maintain these centrally. in the end, they might
> end up in felix commons but we could make a start here.

Sure!

> this idea is crazy - i know - but if sufficient apache folks are
> interested and can be granted karma then it's not impossible.

I think we'd be happy to grant karma to responsible apache committers.
We'll need someone to help out release-manage more than anything I
think -- porting avalon components is easy as pie generally.

If the builds still work (IIRC I fixed it all up for maven2 a while
back) and someone else does the coding I might even be persuaded to do
some of that :)

--
cheers,

Leo Simons