excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Excalibur votes (Was: [VOTE] new cornerstone libraries)
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:14:18 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler ha scritto:
> Hi Stefano,
>
> we recently discussed this problem briefly in the pmc mailing list. The
> overall situation is very disappointing right now (and of course
> frustrating).
>
> I think there are two possibilites: close down excalibur and move the
> code to the community who is interested in it - or do the opposite and
> try to get the community using this stuff more involved in Excalibur (or
> one of its sub projects).
>
> While the first solution is rather dramatic currently unclear to me
> (where to move which code etc.) I think we should try the second way
> first. So my question is if you (or someone else from the james project)
> is interested in becoming both, a committer and a pmc member of excalibur?

I don't have big interest/knowledge in the excalibur community, so I
could probably help a mainly with decisions regarding components we use
in JAMES. That said, if this is the step needed to try to keep excalibur
alive I'm willing to help, for sure.

I think many JAMES PMC members have some sort of knowledge on the
cornerstone/excalibur libraries because we depend on them since the
beginning. I suggest you to ask also to the Cocoon PMC as AFAIK their
latest stable still have excalibur dependencies (is there any other ASF
project depending on excalibur?).

You should also be aware that a long term plan for JAMES is to remove
excalibur/cornerstone as a dependency (as we try to move away from
avalon, too), but this is not planned for tomorrow, so any solution that
will help excalibur for a while is welcome.

Stefano

PS: closing excalibur is not a solution for JAMES and Cocoon, so let's
work to keep it alive :-)