excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Mortenson <leifli...@tanukisoftware.com>
Subject Re: Minimum JDK version
Date Sun, 25 Feb 2007 06:53:21 GMT
Aaron,
    It sounds like the sun APIs are still supported by Java 6, but will
probably go away in
Java 7.  One option is provide two versions of the jar.  One that works
with 1.3 and
the other that works with 1.4 and above.

    Maybe a better option is to require that the jar be built on 1.4 or
above, but let it
work on 1.3.   I can do a class existence check on startup and then have
two copies
of the image generation based on a static flag.  Breaking those two
implementations
into difference classes would make it cleaner.

    I have done something similar with the Java Service Wrapper.  It
requires 1.3 or
above to build, but runs with java 1.2 without some features.

    Once people are using 1.4 and above, they are not going to need the
JAI jars.

Cheers,
Leif