excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: releasing excalibur, partially this time - UPDATE
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 06:29:38 GMT
Jorg Heymans wrote on Saturday, August 26, 2006 9:08 PM:

> On 26 Aug 2006, at 15:45, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>> Hmm. IIRC the old maven build was set for 1.4 so we haven't done this
>> for a while. But I'm not sure.
>
> Using JDK 1.3.1 compilation fails with
>
> /Users/jheymans/src/excalibur-trunk/containerkit/logkit/src/java/org/
> apache/log/output/jms/JMSTopicTarget.java:[19,-1] cannot access
> javax.jms.Message bad class file:
> /Users/jheymans/src/excalibur-trunk/tempRepo/org/
> apache/geronimo/specs/geronimo-jms_1.1_spec/1.0.1/geronimo-
> jms_1.1_spec-1.0.1.jar(javax/jms/Message.class)
> class file has wrong version 48.0, should be 47.0
>
> So i grabbed the sun sources of the jms spec myself and
> compiled them
> using 1.3, but then it failed on javax.mail with the same error.
> Using 1.4.2 everything compiles fine, how to proceed now with this ?
>

>> Gump provides some nice insights into these kinds of issues - it
>> used to run with both a 1.4 and a 1.5 JDK, and there were always
>> significantly different results.
>>

> Interesting, you mean unforeseen things can happen when compiling
> source using jdk 1.5 with a 1.3 target and then running it on a 1.3
> jdk?Anything specific you've experienced ? (keen to learn something
> new here)

You should at least use also the runtime of that JDK. Famous for 1.3 vs 1.4 compatibility
is:

StringBuffer a = new StringBuffer("foo");
StringBuffer b = new StringBuffer(a);

Compile this with JDK 1.4 and it will fail on 1.3. With runtime of 1.3 the compiler will make
an implicit call of a.toString(), while with runtime of JDK 1.4 it will use the new ctor taking
a StringBuffer argument.

- Jörg