excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: releasing excalibur, partially this time - UPDATE
Date Sat, 26 Aug 2006 13:45:32 GMT
On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 02:54:59PM +0200, Jorg Heymans wrote:
> On 25 Aug 2006, at 11:59, Leo Simons wrote:
> >Please take a look at
> >
> >  http://wiki.apache.org/excalibur/ReleaseManagement
>
> it says:
>
> >make sure you're using the latest version of the Sun JDK 1.3 to
> >build the distributions.

Hmm. IIRC the old maven build was set for 1.4 so we haven't done this
for a while. But I'm not sure.

> >Otherwise subtle incompatibility issues may arise later. Exceptions
> >are packages which
> >utilize JDK1.4 logging like excalibur-framework-impl. Those need to
> >be built using JDK1.4.
>
> I'm on mac os x using 1.5.0_06, is it ok to build with this given
> that the maven compiler plugin is configured with source and target
> of 1.3 ?

Sorry, most likely its not.

The issue is not just the file format; what parts of the class library
get used, and how, is also important. For example, it seems there's
extensive JAXP changes in 5.0:

  http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/relnotes.html
  http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/xml/jaxp/ReleaseNotes_150.html

which may impact eg xmlutil or other bits.

In general, figuring out whether there is any potential issue or not
is a lot more work than installing and configuring an older JDK. And if
there's a subtle issue by using different JDKs, which is only found after
6 months, things all become even harder.

Gump provides some nice insights into these kinds of issues - it used to
run with both a 1.4 and a 1.5 JDK, and there were always significantly
different results.

LSD