excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: releasing excalibur, partially this time
Date Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:50:39 GMT
On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 10:23:44PM +0200, Jorg Heymans wrote:
> I would like to start releasing (m2 style) the excalibur components
> (including parent and dependent components) that are currently in use
> by the cocoon project. An m2 style release means that i will use
> maven to create the jars, src-jars and javadoc-jar for all components
> involved and make sure they are uploaded to the maven central
> repository. I will increment all current versions by 0.01 increment,
> ie 4.1 becomes 4.1.1, 2.0.1 becomes 2.0.2 etc.

Sure thing!

Do all artifact ids stay the same?

> For this i will need to make some extra adjustments to the poms to
> keep the release plugin happy.  Any objections ?

Nope.

> Is everyone happy
> with the current module structure ?

*shrug*. Never really was :)

Honestly, I haven't reviewed the m2 bits in a looong time. I know it
looked good when initially committed. Were there big changes from the
maven 1 structure?

> Lazy consensus applies, so scream if you have problems, comments or
> suggestions.

Of course, lazy consensus doesn't apply to releases. They need a PMC vote.
If you create some candidate releases and put them up somewhere I'll be happy
to review and vote, but we're all busy so count on some time :)

My main beef with maven 2 (corporate stuff) is its so hard to have
"repeatable" builds, eg making sure I can take some source code a year
from now and result in a build with exactly the same binaries, so I'd
love to see you be very precise in keeping logs, perhaps even going so
far as cleaning out ~/.m2, creating the builds, then zipping ~/.m2 and
pushing it in SVN somewhere close to the release tag, then doing later
release candidates with -offline. Or something; haven't fully figured it
out yet. Does cocoon have a process?

LSD