excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Mortenson <leifli...@tanukisoftware.com>
Subject Re: Errors with Example Servlet from SVN
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:56:31 GMT
Nicholas_Z_Irving@national.com.au wrote:
> Once fixed I can now talk about the next issue
>  [14/12/05 15:51:11:109 EST] 2e5b8b69 ServletInstan E SRVE0100E: Did not
> realize  init() exception thrown by servlet Fortress-Example:
> javax.servlet.ServletException:
> org/apache/excalibur/instrument/manager/DefaultInstrumentManager
>       at
> com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictServletInstance.doInit(StrictServletInstance.java:99)
>       at

<snip>
> ---- Begin backtrace for Nested Throwables
> java.lang.InstantiationError:
> org/apache/excalibur/instrument/manager/DefaultInstrumentManager
>       at
> org.apache.avalon.fortress.util.ContextManager.initializeInstrumentManager(ContextManager.java:988)
>       at
> org.apache.avalon.fortress.util.ContextManager.initialize(ContextManager.java:247)
>       at

<snip>

What jars are included?  This looks like there is a problem
instantiating the
DefaultInstrumentManager class.  It looks like the class itself is being
found, but not
something that it requires.   So you most likely have the
excalibur-instrument-mgr-impl-2.2-dev.jar
jar, but may be missing excalibur-instrument-mgr-api-2.1.jar, or
excalibur-instrument-api-2.1.jar.
If the http connector is being configured in the instrument config file
(as it should be)  Then you
will also need the excalibur-instrument-mgr-http-2.1.jar jar.  But that
is not what is causing the
problem you are currently seeing.  The manager also relies on the
framework api and impl jars
so those will also need to be available.

Cheers,
Leif