excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: excalibur and maven2
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:40:24 GMT
On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 06:55:47PM +0100, Jorg Heymans wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
> > Not from me, but it seems you have some :-)
>
> oh good old reverse psychology, neat ;)

hehehe. <wrubs hands/>

> >>As you might know, we at cocoon depend quite heavily on excalibur libs
> >>and have recently decided to bite the bullet and convert our build
> >>system to use maven2. It would be very helpful for us if we could rely
> >>on excalibur being defined as an m2 pom with proper dependencies
> >>configured, rather than having to use the incompatible maven1 project
> >>definitions.
> >
> > Feel free to bite a somewhat bigger bullet and work on this. If all is well,
> > all the cocoon committers have commit access to the excalibur svn repo. But
> > be warned that we'll make anyone who dares contribute a lot an excalibur
> > committer too! :-)
>
> well i toyed around a bit on excalibur-trunk and was able to convert 10
> modules quite quickly, just basic jar'ing but that's all we need
> initially anyway. Once this is a bit more complete i would like to try
> and release the poms and jars to the maven2 repo at ibiblio.

Our use of maven 1 is pretty standard so I would assume it shouldn't be too hard
to convert to maven 2. Kind-of hoping that other projects take the plunge and
figure out the problems and then they fix them and then its real easy over here :-)

> Are there any other downstream projects hanging off these excalibur libs?

Are you serious? :-). The bits of java software at apache that have the most
dependencies hanging off them used to be, in rough order,

  Xerces
  Ant
  Xalan
  Log4j
  Avalon
  Commons-Logging

I'm guessing maven really should be on that list by now too but sine gump doesn't
know how to build maven I don't know where it is. Maven 2 used to depend on plexus
which used to depend on avalon-framework and I think one or two excalibur
libraries. No idea whether that's still true.

At apache the primary "clients" are Apache Cocoon, Apache James, Apache Jakarta
Turbine. I think one or two other jakarta bits. But that trickles down to a lot
of other code. If avalon-framework breaks, lots of other open source stuff breaks
way down the line. Similarly for logkit.

Another open source project is the Keel Framework.

And then there's closed source stuff all around.

cheers!

LSD