excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Excalibur and JDK-1.3
Date Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:00:34 GMT
Hi shash!

On 16-07-2005 22:03, "Shash Chatterjee" <shash@badfw.org> wrote:
> I am trying to get Excalibur tagged and the RC's released (not going to get
> time to do all of it at once, but I'll do as many as I can). Started with
> Framework, running into a problem with framework-impl and logkit.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/excalibur/ReleaseManagement says to make sure and
> compile with JDK-1.3 (I am using Sun jdk-1.3.1_15).  Of course,
> o.a.a.f.logger.Jdk14Logger does not compile.  Similar issues with logkit.
>
> Are we supposed to overlook this rule?

It ain't a rule, its a guideline :-)

IIRC compiling for target=1.3 with 1.4 gave us some issues with some little
bit of code somewhere at some point, and I think it was Peter Donald who
pointed that out; I think this was related to logkit itself (which I believe
could actually still compile using 1.2). We've probably got bits of code
spread all over the codebase that will only compile against 1.4.

I'm not against building jars using 1.4, as long as we ship buildable source
distributions so that people that need to can replace particular jars with
1.3-compatible ones that can otherwise be trusted to be the same.

IOW, as long as the source distro is of good quality I wouldn't feel too bad
about bending a few rules if you need to. Projects like cocoon have long
since given up on binary distros, and in fact I know from trying out
gump+jdk 1.3 that there's a whole bunch of vital dependencies for most of
the apache java projects which you can't compile on a 1.3 jdk out of the
box. Its a mess. Don't spend tooooo much time trying to clean it :-)

Cheers,

Leo