excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Optimizing SourceResolver.release()
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:56:55 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez schrieb:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'd like to propose a small change to the Source contract so that
>>SourceResolver.release() is far more efficient.
>>
>>Currently, releasing a Source requires to lookup the SourceFactory in
>>the selector and calling release(Source) on that class. Now looking
>>around, I found only _one_ implementation of SourceFactory that
>>effectively does something useful in it's release() method, which is
>>Cocoon's SitemapSourceFactory.
>>
>>All other implementations do _nothing_, leading to a lot of useless
>>lookups. Considering how much source-intensive Cocoon is, this may be
>>significant.
>>
>>To avoid this, I'd like to propose a small change to the
>>SourceResolver.release() contract: if the Source implements Disposable,
>>then it's dispose() method is called, and otherwise the factory is
>>looked up as of today.
>>
>>We then have to add empty dispose() methods to all source
>>implementations to benefit from the performance improvement.
>>
>>How does that sound?
>>

>Don't know, but I don't like the dependency to Disposable.
>It would be better if we could keep the interfaces clean from
>Avalon core interfaces.
>
>The early versions of the Source interface had a "release()" method
>which did exactly what you propose. So perhaps we can add an own
>interface for this in the o.a.e.source package instead?

If we do this, this changes the Source interface, and may lead to more
compatibility problems with implementations out there.

A solution would be to add a "ReleasableSource" interface that extends
Source and provides the release() method. That way, we don't add
dependencies on the framework.

Sylvain