excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From "Sasvata (Shash) Chatterjee" <sh...@badfw.org>
Subject Re: Excalibur and JDK-1.3
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:05:15 GMT
Leo/All,

> It ain't a rule, its a guideline :-)
>
>IIRC compiling for target=1.3 with 1.4 gave us some issues with some little
>bit of code somewhere at some point, and I think it was Peter Donald who
>pointed that out; I think this was related to logkit itself (which I believe
>could actually still compile using 1.2). We've probably got bits of code
>spread all over the codebase that will only compile against 1.4.
>
>I'm not against building jars using 1.4, as long as we ship buildable source
>distributions so that people that need to can replace particular jars with
>1.3-compatible ones that can otherwise be trusted to be the same.

Sounds good.  I will build with Sun jdk-1.4.2_08 and set
maven.compile.target=1.3.

However, I am running into yet another problem, I would really
appreciate if another committer could try it (say, on logkit)and tell me
if it is my machine/env. or something else.

I am on Win-XP (latest updates/SPs), and Cygwin. I am able to run the
Maven (1.0.2) excalibur:release goal just fine, when using  jdk-1.3.
Using, JDK-1.4, or  1.5,  makes  the build hang when it gets to one of
the <ant:exec> tags, starting with when it invokes "gpg", but also with
the "ssh" and "svn" invocations.  I have tried maven-1.1-beta, same
behavior.  I have tried making the command "gpg.exe", I have tried the
spawn="true" attribute of <ant:exec>,  I have tried wrapping the
executables in a batch file, I have tried using a windows command shell,
rather than Cygwin/Bash shell. I have tried pretty much everything.
Nothing seems to work.

In a fit of rage, I spent all day yesterday installing Fedora Core 4 on
a spare disk....I am done with it.  I am playing with the Eclipse
install and setting up the Java env. now, so will be able to try there
soon.  In the meantime, someone please try on Win-XP and let me know.

Thanks,
Shash