excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: [Not yet a proposal]: Excalibur Container
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:23:59 GMT
hammett wrote:

> I'm aware that Berin has created a container implementation using Java
> 1.5, I have dig into it when I was researching to create the current
> version of castle microkernel. We could go from Berin's work or ask him
> what he would have done differently now, and then start from there.
> Everyone here - due all past and work experience - should have a perfect
> view of what make up a good container implementation. As long as we work
> - peacefully - on an intersection, we will be in good shape.

I think the best aspect of what I did was to be DI flavor of the week
agnostic.  I intentionally developed a system that would allow Spring
style components, Avalon style components, and PicoContainer style
components all live peacefully together.

I kept things simple by mapping one "Dojo" per component style du jour,
and incorporated the concept of a "MultiDojo" which could resolve
component implementations from the set of Dojos which made that up.

Can there be AOP?  Absolutely.  It should be relatively easy to
implement within this scheme.

I was in the process of incorporating security into the model, and that
resulted in the J5Sec project.  I think I have yet to incorporate it in
to the Dojo suite.  It is imperative that a Dojo that uses remote
components has a robust security model.

One of the things I had in mind was having an implementation of a "Budo"
(the integration piece that let's Dojo interact with components of that
school of thought) that would merely be proxies that called a remote
service.  That service could be an RMI implementation, or more usefully
a Web Service.

Add to that my really simple configuration tool that I have been working
on for a different project, and you can see where this is going.
Granted I'm only one guy doing all this.

--
Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
But of course, if you dig deeper, it's really how it works.

                                                        -- Steve Jobs