excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: [Not yet a proposal]: Excalibur Container
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:51:06 GMT
hammett wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Hitting the same button again - sorry! - I'd like to re-open the
> discussion about a container implementation, still based on the old
> suggestion from Leo Sutic, but this time using Java 1.5.
>
> Rationale:
> - Java 5 has nice features that may allow us to code a container
> different from anything currently available
> - An excalibur container has no relation to Fortress/Phoenix/any other
> which translates in freedom on its implementation, design and functionality
> - We don't even have to think about an avalon container, just focus on
> Inversion of control and its meaning. An avalon adapter could come
> gracefully from a good design
> - For those, like myself, that haven't dig into java 5, that would be a
> great opportunity :-)
>
> Thoughts?

I've done alot with that in Dojo, using Java 5:

http://scm.d-haven.org/svn/d-haven/trunk/dojo/

There's alot of fun stuff.

Oh, BTW, one thing you can do with Java5 and ComponentManager:

interface ComponentManager
{
     <T> T lookup(Class<T>);
}

What that allows you to do when using the CM is something like this:

CacheManager cache = cm.lookup(CacheManager.class);

No casting, and using the interface to do the lookup!  Very convenient.

Nevertheless, just take a look at what I've done so far and see if it
makes sense.  I strove for simplicity.

--
Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
But of course, if you dig deeper, it's really how it works.

                                                        -- Steve Jobs