excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Need some help with Sources
Date Mon, 09 May 2005 16:14:33 GMT
peter royal wrote:

>> I guess this means: I need to write a factory class for my protocol
>> which implements the SourceFactory interface, right?
>

> yes

>> Which protocols can it handle "by itself"? Are they hard coded? Or
>> does "by itself" just mean "built into the JDK"?
>

> SourceFactory's are provided for a number of protocols:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/excalibur/trunk/components/
> sourceresolve/src/java/org/apache/excalibur/source/impl/
>
> files, Commons-VFS, FTP, HTTP and anything the JDK can handle
> natively via its URL class.

To be clearer: Excalibur provides a lot of implementations, but none is
built-in in the SourceResolver. They all have to be configured in the
selector associated to the SourceFactorySelector role.

The factory with hint '*' in this selector has a special purpose, as it
is used for protocols that don't have an explicit association. This is
usually mapped to URLSourceFactory, which uses java.net.URL.

Sylvain