excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Schlabach <tschlab...@apache.org>
Subject Need some help with Sources
Date Sun, 08 May 2005 22:05:44 GMT
Dear all,

I am about to implement some additional protocols using the
SourceResolver. I think I tracked the info I need down to this paragraph
from http://excalibur.apache.org/sourceresolve/index.html

<quote>
Own protocols can be configured using the SourceFactory interface.
Whenever the SourceResolver finds a protocol that it can't handle by
itself, it gets a role selector for a SourceFactory and tries to get a
component with the role name of the protocol. If such a factory exists,
the source creation is passed on to this factory.
</quote>

What I understand and don't understand:

 >> Own protocols can be configured using the SourceFactory interface.

I guess this means: I need to write a factory class for my protocol
which implements the SourceFactory interface, right?

 >> Whenever the SourceResolver finds a protocol that it can't handle by
 >> itself

Which protocols can it handle "by itself"? Are they hard coded? Or does
"by itself" just mean "built into the JDK"?

 >> it gets a role selector for a SourceFactory and tries to get a
 >> component with the role name of the protocol.

This is where I don't understand a single word anymore.
The name of the protocol might be myxmldatabase for the sake of the
argument. This string ("myxmldatabase") might be a hint, but not a role,
as role names are java interface names, aren't they?

I tried to shed some light on this by looking at the Cocoon source code,
but did not get anywhere with that as I cannot find any roles that would
relate to local protocols that Cocoon defines, such as sitemap: or
cocoon: for example.

Could anyone help me out with some hints?

Regards,
Torsten

P.S.: Trying to understand this it would sometimes be helpful to have
the corresponding JavaDoc on the site; see
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FORTRESS-18