excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From peter royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Need some help with Sources
Date Mon, 09 May 2005 12:34:23 GMT
On May 8, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Torsten Schlabach wrote:
> >> Own protocols can be configured using the SourceFactory interface.
>
> I guess this means: I need to write a factory class for my protocol
> which implements the SourceFactory interface, right?

yes

> >> Whenever the SourceResolver finds a protocol that it can't
> handle by
> >> itself
>
> Which protocols can it handle "by itself"? Are they hard coded? Or
> does "by itself" just mean "built into the JDK"?

SourceFactory's are provided for a number of protocols:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/excalibur/trunk/components/
sourceresolve/src/java/org/apache/excalibur/source/impl/

files, Commons-VFS, FTP, HTTP and anything the JDK can handle
natively via its URL class.

> >> it gets a role selector for a SourceFactory and tries to get a
> >> component with the role name of the protocol.
>
> This is where I don't understand a single word anymore.
> The name of the protocol might be myxmldatabase for the sake of the
> argument. This string ("myxmldatabase") might be a hint, but not a
> role, as role names are java interface names, aren't they?

this 'hint', "myxmldatabase", would be the protocol. so a URL you
pass to the source resolver would be myxmldatabase://my/custom/path

-pete