excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz <lean...@ibnetwork.com.br>
Subject Re: YAAFI/Fortress
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 22:41:24 GMT
On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 10:22 +0200, Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> my comments are below
>
> Peter Courcoux wrote:
>
> > Siegfried,
> >
> > I had a quick look at YAAFI and perused the excalibur lists over the
> > weekend.
> >
> > It looks like Fortress is still being actively developed, is used
> > quite extensively and fits the style of component management required
> > by turbine ( ie not wiring comoponents together but making them
> > available in a similar manner to ECM).
>
> Same for YAAFI ...
>
> > I also note that Fortress has cyclic dependency checking, the lack of
> > which in ECM, was a worry to me in a recent project where I had a
> > number of junior developers writing and using ECM managed components.
>
> This is a design problem and not a container problem ... :-) .... and
> YAAFI is actually unable to run services with cyclic dependencies.

Agreed, This problem gets worse if you have different release cycles
form those components.

> > It doesn't look to me like YAAFI has cyclic dependency checking and I
> > think it might be worth looking at how we could use Fortress and what
> > it would take to convert the fulcrum services to be usable in
> > Fortress. It is more work but I'm thinking that biting the bullet now
> > would have many advantages in the future.
>
> We already took a few bullets - the Turbine services were converted to
> ECM and then to Merlin thereby effectively stalling the Fulcrum project.
> I don't have a problem migrating the existing codebase to use Fortress
> but this involves the following steps

How many times someone will have to do this again and again ?
I'm not really sure if this is working like this right now. But why
don't make Turbine container (avalon) agnostic ?

> 1) changing the access to the Avalon context for all services - not a
> big deal and YAAFI supports setting up the correct Avalon context based
> on the "componentFlavour"
> 2) writing role configuration files but I found nowhere a spec saying
> how to write such a file for Fortress - and I need to write a parser for it

It's really easy. I have all xingu.sf.net components using Fortress.

> 3) sorting out the dependencies and adding them to Fulcrum/Turbine -
> Fortress requires around 20 JARs whereas YAAFI is happy with just two of
> them.
>

> > What do you think?
>
> +) making Fulcrum components compatible to Fortress is a good idea

+1

> +) using Fortress as default Avalon container is currently not on my
> list - but again this is my strictly personal opinion.

+1

> Cheers,
>
> Siegfried Goeschl
>

> > Regards,