excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <jaaronf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release excalibur-logger, -pool, -component...
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 20:28:28 GMT
On Apr 7, 2005 2:22 PM, Sasvata (Shash) Chatterjee <shash@badfw.org> wrote:

> Aaron, let us know what you are thinking (as you sit in that chair, no
> wait, you *are* the chair :-)).  Framework, Logkit first, then, per
> Vadim's immediate needs, looger, pool, component, then everything else?

I would go with Framework + Logkit followed by the rest of the
"containerkit" subprojects and then by Fortress and the components.

> Also, once everything builds/tests, do we want to release some SNAPSHOT
> jars, or do we want folks to just build from source and try out prior to
> the actual release?

We should provide at least one release candidate distribution as
source and binary before any final release.  General workflow for a
release looks like:

  1. Someone steps up as "Release Manager" to spearhead the release
  2. Cleans up the code and identifies a revision number for an RC release
  3. PMC signs off on a RC release
  4. Release Manager publishes the RC release
  5. Start collecting bugs (if any) via JIRA
  6. If there are bugs, do another RC release.
  7. When the RC has been stable for at least a week (no new bug
reports), request a formal release by the PMC

see also: http://wiki.apache.org/avalon/AvalonReleaseManagerHowto

The Avalon framework is a widely used dependency, so a new release
candidate is something many other projects may want to know about.

--
  jaaron