excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <jaaronf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lowering the barrier to Excalibur
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:17:48 GMT
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:53:38 +0100, Markus Wolf
<markus@emedia-solutions-wolf.de> wrote:
> Hi Excalibur list (this is my fist post),

Welcome Markus!

> >  1. A series of short tutorials: We could create a couple short
> >  tutorials/introductions somewhat like Picocontainer's "One minute
> >  description,Two minute tutorial,Five minute introduction" set. These
> >  could be placed in the wiki.
> >
> This is a must. Either in the way pico have it, or in some use cases for
> which Excalibur could be used. The examples in the repository are far
> from beeing useful, because they are too simple and just show a startup.
> A better Swing/SWT example, a simple
> "this-is-my-server-for-some-service" example and something like this
> would be very useful.

Definitely a must.

So what type of examples would be useful?  Here are some of my thoughts:

Topics to cover (split across several tutorials/examples):

  * Lifecycle Basics (what are the lifecycles)
  * Using the configuration API
  * Service Manager Lookups
  * Role Files and Meta-Info (how to configure)
  * Fortress Lifestyles
  * Running Environments: Swing vs Console vs Servlet...

What else?

What type of example applications would be useful?

  * The current Swing "Hello World Translator" app
  * An Excalibur based "Pet Store" app  (web or swing)
  * Some sort of network server (hosts a simple DB or bean server or something)

--
  jaaron