excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Siegfried Goeschl <siegfried.goes...@it20one.at>
Subject Re: Plans for Fulcrum release ....
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:44:18 GMT
Hi Peter,

it's the other way around - assume that a component is instantiated as a
child but implements ServiceManager, Would Excalibur ever invoke lookup()?!

The usage szenario would be : you find a few funky Fulcrum services but
they depend on a Merlin Avalon contract regarding the Context. If I
understand it correctly you can't use the components directly since the
blow up during contextialize() trying to access "urn:avalon:home" and
"urn:avalon:temp". In this case you can instantiate YAAFI as Excalibur
component whereas YAAFI takes care of loading the Fulcrum components.
But the YAAFI instance would be a child component and the available
service would be never found during the cascading lookup going up the
parent hierarchy. Do I miss something here)

We have the same requirement for Turbine - if the Turbine service
framework does not find a service it should ask all its children
implementing ServiceManager. In this case it is not a big deal since
this is the only sensible solution to provide container-transparent
access to components. But in Excalibur land it has a rather akward semantic.

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl