excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz <lean...@ibnetwork.com.br>
Subject Re: The YAAFI Manifesto - WAS Re: Plans for Fulcrum release ....
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:34:57 GMT
On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 11:33 +0100, Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
>
> 1) Original Motivation for YAAFI
>
> 1.1) A few months ago I worked on a JSP/Struts web application for a
> customer and they needed to integrate a few external services over the
> time. I decided to go with Avalon components but I got frustrated with
> the various containers (Excalibur, Merlin), my inability to get them
> running and the amount of additional dependencies. The problem was not
> my frustration as external consultant (I get paid for that) but my
> customer would have plainly recjected the Avalon approach if adds too
> much complexity (they devil you don't know). To cover my a**  I coded a
> minimal Avalon container over night.

I agree. You should be able to setup a container in a matter of minutes.
It should be simple to make simple things.

> 1.2) In my own company we have a Turbine application and a few services
> which could have been contributed years ago but the Turbine Service
> Framework is convoluted due to the monolithic approach of Turbine. We
> found out that the only stuff we used from Turbine were a few services
> and our own stuff. And we are sort of stuck to an old version of Turbine
> - well, not a big deal but we would have to migrate our own services. Or
> we take the Fulcrum approach which would fit nicely ....

Turbine evolved into a huge mass of code with no defined role or
objective. In my opinion Turbine should be a minimal framework with :
- A pipeline
- Security an error handling

That's it. We use Turbine on my company too. but all services are
disable (except the core). What I really like about turbine is the way
you can organize your page with screens, layouts and navigations !

> And I would appreciate some sort of cross-project cooperation to achieve
> the following long-term goals
>
> +) ensure that the available Avalon services (Excalibur, Fulcrum, Xingu)
> run with Fortress and YAAFI

I can setup Xingu to use YAAFI. right now we are using Fortress.

> Cheers,
>
> Siegfried Goeschl

Cheers !

--
Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz
CTO - InterBusiness Tecnologia e Servi├žos