excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: How is responsible for avalon-framework-api and avalon-framework-impl?
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:50:24 GMT
Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> Hi folks,

Hi Sigfried!

> thinking along Avalon component reuse with different Avalon containers
> .... who is actually making changes and release of
> avalon-framework-[api|impl] nowadays?

The excalibur project; the bleeding edge of the code is in excalibur SVN
under trunk/framework. Note that avalon-framework tends to be mostly in
a "bugfix" mode. Making big changes at this point is likely to just
result in less compatibility between the various container solutions out
there.

> I checked out http://wiki.apache.org/avalon/AvalonContextSurvey and this
> is the point where the various Avalon containers are really ehmm
> improvable.

yep. We spent a lot of time thinking about that. In the end, no change
was made. I forgot most of that discussion, it's in the dev@avalon
archives, no doubt.

> Each container has its own ideas about naming the entries
> of the context and there is no "exists()" to facilitate querying the
> context apart from catching the exceptions when you are plainly wrong.
> Not a big deal but I'm just curious ....

In a fully IOC application (IOC in the way avalon originally specified
it, not as is in common use now ie dependency injection), exists() is a
bad idea. The container is responsible for making sure that either the
component has everything it needs (which the component author can
specify using "metadata") and if it cannot do that it shouldn't load the
component at all.

In other words, there are no "optional dependencies" on context information.

cheers,

- Leo