excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: refactoring StoreJanitorImpl
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:49:55 GMT
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
>> Vadim brought up the idea to contribute the Cocoon Event package
>> replacement (RunnableManager) to Excalibur. Personally, I'm not sure
>> about it as in the end we have the Event package back here in a different
>> form. So, maybe you guys have a look at it at
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/thread/

>> and give us your thoughts about it.
>
> OK, here is my surmizing of what is in that package:
>
> 1) It is a thin wrapper around the Doug Lea Concurrent library

Yup.

> 2) That makes it pretty close to Java5 java.util.concurrent stuff
> 3) The LinkedQueue will has race conditions waiting to happen with the
>   size tracking--only use it with one thread at a time.

Hmm, you mean the insert method, right?

> 4) The RunnableManager is a lot of code without one test--it makes me
> nervous.

Sure. Tests will follow.

> For the most part it is a big departure from the Excalibur/D-Haven event
> packages and it is pretty close to the Doug Lea Concurrent library.  I
> can see some potential issues with synchronization--especially as it
> relates to tracking queue size.

Where?

> The RunnableManager is a non-trivial class that might actually be
> better split up.

Any suggestions are welcome.

> I highly recommend writing a bunch of test cases
> with JUnit and Clover until the whole thing is covered by tests.
> While I know Vadim does good work, it surprised me the number of
> issues I found in my own code.

Don't blame Vadim about it, the RunnableManager is my s**t :-). Many
thank for looking at it. I'd rather stick with the d-haven event package
but the cocoon community has decided otherwise (you either know or can
query theaimsgroup about it).

--
Giacomo Pati