excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: refactoring StoreJanitorImpl
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:22:56 GMT
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Leo Simons wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>> Hy guys
>
> Hi Giacomo,
>
> good to see you around here :-D
>
>> We had the problem over in Cocoon that the StoreJanitoImpl class cannot
>> be easily subclassed as we have replaces the deprecated Excalibur event
>> package with our own we'd like the StoreJanitorImpl to be used the same
>> way wrt thread usage. So we'd like to be able to overwrite the start and
>> run method to have our approach to launch regularly background tasks but
>> we want the logic to be the same as in the subclass (seams to be
>> sofisticated, no need to change or duplicate that).
>>
>> So my refactoring is that all the logic in the run method is refactored
>> out in its own protected method.
>>
>> WDYT
>
> sure, why not? Go right ahead!

Ok.

>> As I've propably lost my committer right since the move from Avalon to
>> Excalibur how about a patch (well, couldn't see a place neither in Jira
>> nor Bugzilla to place that patch)?
>
> Nah, you've still got that access! SVN has this configured:
>
> [/excalibur]
> @excalibur = rw
> @james = rw
> @cocoon = rw

Sorry, missed that one. Was just greping for my name.

> so all cocoon committers can commit to all of excalibur. Cocoon is one of the
> most important users of the excalibur codebase, and we like to keep the
> barrier as low as possible (trusting of course no-one makes a mess out of
> things :-D).

Vadim brought up the idea to contribute the Cocoon Event package
replacement (RunnableManager) to Excalibur. Personally, I'm not sure
about it as in the end we have the Event package back here in a
different form. So, maybe you guys have a look at it at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/thread/

and give us your thoughts about it.

Honestly, I didn't find the rason why the Event package has been
deprecated at all (and I just took it as a community decission I've not
followed)

> As an aside, jira does have excalibur and fortress in there:
>
>   http://excalibur.apache.org/issue-tracking.html

Ok, thanks, I'll have a look at it, too.

--
Giacomo Pati