excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: refactoring StoreJanitorImpl
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:31:14 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
>>> so all cocoon committers can commit to all of excalibur. Cocoon is
>>> one of the most important users of the excalibur codebase, and we
>>> like to keep the barrier as low as possible (trusting of course
>>> no-one makes a mess out of things :-D).
>>

>> Vadim brought up the idea to contribute the Cocoon Event package
>> replacement (RunnableManager) to Excalibur. Personally, I'm not sure
>> about it as in the end we have the Event package back here in a
>> different form. So, maybe you guys have a look at it at
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/thread/

>> and give us your thoughts about it.
>

> Hmm. I don't know that much about the event stuff, primarily seen it
> from a user perspective as it was used in fortress.
>
> My general experience in the past when codebases moved from cocoon to
> avalon was that it didn't do those codebases much good, so I'm not so
> sure this'll benefit anyone....
>
> Berin, care to comment?

Event was originally a fork/port of the SEDA stuff in a sane API.
It was ported with the intention of building a SEDA framework on top
of Avalon.  Assumptions were made about the threading models and
fixes were done by trial and error.  There are a couple classes
in there that will conflict with Java5, but as that wasn't anywhere
around at the time I created it I had no way of knowing.

                 - Rich Cook