excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: refactoring StoreJanitorImpl
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:25:59 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> Vadim brought up the idea to contribute the Cocoon Event package
> replacement (RunnableManager) to Excalibur. Personally, I'm not sure
> about it as in the end we have the Event package back here in a
> different form. So, maybe you guys have a look at it at
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/thread/

> and give us your thoughts about it.

I can take a look at it...

> Honestly, I didn't find the rason why the Event package has been
> deprecated at all (and I just took it as a community decission I've not
> followed)

Mainly because there is a much better tested version of it over at
http://dist.d-haven.org/d-haven-event/
http://api.d-haven.org/event/
http://scm.d-haven.org/svn/d-haven/trunk/event/

which is pretty robust, and the latest version of it has fixed some
long time assumptions that the old Event package lived under.

Since I am about the only one really maintaining the Event package,
I reworked it so that it is compatible with Java5, but implemented
with Java 1.4 (I had to remove the name conflict for Queue).  I also
reimplemented a lot of the Command package stuff so that it really
did what it was advertising.

In the end, it just seemed better to use that rather than maintaining
a lesser version here that barely had any tests.

The main reason I started the fork of Event was to teach myself TDD.
In the process I discovered a few things wrong with the old code,
and had to make some incompatible changes to fix them.  Since what I
had turned out so well, I released it.

                 - Rich Cook